Thursday, July 14, 2011

i'd do anything you want me to

upon my arrival in korea, i thought i was going to be teaching 2nd grade. i quickly learned i would be teaching 5th/6th grade with an after-school class of 1st/2nd graders. when i first started with them, i was terrified. they were monsters. they didn't speak english and i didn't speak korean, the co-teacher couldn't control them, i couldn't control them and they were all over the place. 


that somewhat quickly changed. they finally started to semi-listen to me, not that they really understood what i was saying. but we were able to get through a lesson without a child trying to smack me, or climb on top of the tables, or run around screaming. 


since then these kids have really grown on me. it probably also helps that my 6th graders have become the bane of my existence. they are the worst. sure there are times when my 1st/2nd graders can be a handful, but i truly do look forward to seeing them thursday afternoons. 


my 1st/2nd graders :)


this is Woong, the devil child

they were hiding from me and jumping up from behind the wall

very much into watching the mickey mouse clip

this is Min-Joo, she is attached to me throughout the whole class

her letting me a take a picture of her is a big step. usually she just runs away. 



next week is my last week with them for the semester until september. yes i will miss them, but i am also very happy for a month and a half vacation from them.

No comments: