Thursday, March 3, 2011

little miss brand new start, little miss do your part, little miss big ol' heart beats wide open...

it's friday! i have survived the first two days of my teaching, which were mostly introductions and such with the 5th graders. I will have the 6th graders monday-wednesday next week.

yes you read that right, 5th and 6th graders. definitely not what i was told i was going to be teaching, but since i have been here, i am fairly happy with it. though that opinion might change after monday, tuesday or wednesday. i am told the 6th graders this year are a handful. my 6th grade co-teacher has told me that i shouldn't be surprised if she starts yelling and being super strict with them. because if she doesn't get a handle on the children in the first month, then they are going to be even worse by the end of the year. so basically the first month she is going to be a hard ass.

my signature fascinates the children. i checked their writing work today and i had to sign my name saying it was complete. they all were in shock an awe of how my name looks when i sign it. so many gasps and they would sit their and stare at it and examine it. very entertaining to watch.

i am still in the process of unpacking. not done. by the time i have gotten home at night all i want to do is go to sleep. my sleep schedule is all messed up. 17 hour time difference, a rock hard bed and an already bad sleep schedule doesn't help. i'm hoping by next week i will be regular and i will be able to sleep through the night without waking up 4 times in the middle of the night.

many of you have been asking for my address, so i finally have it written so that i can understand it and it will make it though the mail without getting sent back. so for all of you who have been asking, here is my address:

Mychaela Olson
Room442 SinDongA NobleTower 2199 Daewhadong Ilsanseogu
Goyangsi Gyeonggido, South Korea

i have to get my medical check results tomorrow morning with my co-teacher, i need to find somewhere where i can get my transportation card for the bus and subway. either at the subway station or apparently at a convenience store. there happens to be one on the first floor of my building, though i don't know if they sell the card. so i will check either tonight when i get back or tomorrow before i go to the hospital.

then i think it will be time for some exploring. i haven't been able to do any with work and my crappy sleep schedule, so i am hoping to do that this weekend. and hopefully with dani. i haven't seen or really talked to her since we got here on monday night!

pictures to come this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Kayla B ... always nice to hear your stories. Hopefully it won't take a month for you to receive the mail ... :) Have an awesome weekend! Love ya, AT

Mumsey said...

I love reading your updated blog, sweetheart. It sounds like you are ready to conquer the world and I am sure you will do it with style. I am excited to hear how your first full week with 5th and 6th graders go. I know that is not what you expected but you will adapt and make the best of it, I just know it. I hope you are able to get some rest and also do some sightseeing with Dani. It finally dawned on me why you weren't online at your usual time today....duh, you are already enjoying your weekend! I'm a little bit slow. Sis and I are working on your care package and will send it on Monday. Lots of goodies for you... :) I love you, Sis. Enjoy your exploring and be safe!