Monday, March 14, 2011

first weekend in a new country means.... ADVENTURE!

the first weekend in south korea was pretty relaxed. all week i fought major jet lag and attempted to get into a regular sleep schedule and get adjusted to the 17 hour time difference (now 16 thanks to daylight savings back in the states).

saturday i had to go and get my medical check results so i could apply for my alien card (which i am stilllllll waiting for), my coteacher took me to get a few more things for my apartment, we had lunch and she walked me around my neighborhood and showed me a few things that will be helpful to me in the future. one of those finally being a t-money card, which they use for using public transportation here. it's basically a card that you can reload with money on it that are used on the machines in the subway stations and on the buses.

technically i do not have my own internet at my apartment, but i have managed to find a wireless internet connection that is fairly decent at times that i am able to connect to when i need to. so i was able to get a hold of dani on skype (granted my skype kills the internet connection since then) and we were able to make plans to meet up on sunday. with my t-money card in hand, a subway map in full korean, my camera, my phone and a water bottle, i set out on my first adventure bright and early sunday morning.

(Insadong-gil Market)

(Insadong-gil Market)

dani and i met at Anguk Station in Seoul, near Insadong-gil, a famous street that has a weekend market and many different art galleries. we walked around the area, just expl oring. we enjoyed the delicious street food, laughed through the bilingual demonstration of the making of some traditional honey candy and took in a bit of everything. after we ate an a pretty good bento place (and my mouth wasn't on fire for about an hour afterwards). from there we went to a small coffee shop and figured out the rest of our day. which ended up having dani ride the subway back to daewha station and coming to ilsan to see my area. she was able to see my apartment, i walked her to my school and we adventured around the daewha area.

We learned that i can access my roof top and took some awesome view pictures.

after that we found the RotiBoy that dani insisted i try. aaaaaaaamazing!!! new fan right here. from there, dani made her way back to her side of korea and i was able to relax and read a bit more. all in all it was a good weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice ... Can't wait to hear about your new adventure in 6 hours. :) Love you! AT

Anonymous said...

RotiBoy?

mychaela said...

http://www.rotiboy.com/

amazingness!!

Mumsey said...

I love hearing about your adventures and looking at your beautiful pictures.
I miss you!
Mumsey